Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Noise and the News

Dan Gladden, a former Major League ballplayer for the Minnesota Twins once remarked that: "A lot of Major League ball is choreographed and staged."

So, from my vantage point, was the presidential inauguration and some of the network news coverage of it today.

NBC did everything but lick George Bush's shoes, ABC ran a boring play-by-play ["...And here comes the motorcade"] and CBS [remember CBS?] did a fair job of covering the protesters ["...It appears that someone threw a round, orange object at one of the Secret Service agents...Possibly a piece of fruit"].

Did the protestors accomplish their goal today?

Yeah, they made a REAL "constructive" impact when they emptied a fruit bowl on the men in black in DC!

In the midst of the noise of the protests from Pioneer Square, Oregon to Pennsylvania Avenue, District of Columbia one fact remains constant:

The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword.

The pomp and circumstance surrounding George Bush didn't hide the truth today. The shouts of protestors nationwide didn't change the truth, either. But I think that one option will: WRITING.

That's why so many people blog.

Words are POWERFUL.

Do you really want to make a point with the US political system?

Do you want honest, impartial media coverage?

Forget the sword.

Say it...Don't pitch it.

Take your stand in print.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scheeechhhh
I happened to go to a Yahoo news board out of boredome tonight, and I ran into this Ruthie woman.
She seems pretty nice all in all.
I will post more about her when I get to know her better. At the moment, she's off replenishing my beer supply so I'll add more later after she gets back.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

"Psssst!" [stage whisper] "He only drinks the good stuff."

:)

Anonymous said...

Ok! I am getting worried now. It is already tomorrow, and Ruthie is not back from the beer run she made for me last night.
This is causing me some very serious problems. To begin with, I miss my morning hangover and that, more or less, sums it all up in a nutshell.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

I left to get a GUY'S beer and I met a champagne MAN. ;)

Actually, I don't drink.

I prefer diet Mountain Dew.

And mysterious people behind blue eyes.

Anonymous said...

What!!!??? You left me for a champagne guy! (The nerrrve of this woman). Say it ain't so
(Gawd, I should have realized how impudent she is. She reminds me of her sister, Lucy)