Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Ruthie On The Road, Update

At 5:30 Sunday morning, I left the abandoned gas station and trudged down Highway 19 South and tried all day to get a ride. Late in the afternoon...yes, Campers, I said AFTERNOON, somebody FINALLY stopped.

I watched so many people with "Jesus Is Lord Tags" and Christian Fish logos on their vehicles pass me by without so much as a second glance. And it was obvious that I was exhausted and limping in pain.

People all dressed-up in their churchgoing finery ignored my desperate attempts to get a ride.

Just to get a ride.

When a car finally did stop, a man smiled at me as I approached the passenger-side window.

"Hey there, lady...you look like you really need a ride and I'm going all the way to Pittsburgh."

I got in. And went to Pittsburgh.

I had stopped at a convenience store/gas station that just happened to be open a few hours earlier. And I got myself a sandwich, a banana, a can of Full Throttle and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

I was full and drowsy and slept all the way down to Steeler City.

No comments: