Friday, May 27, 2005

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Heeeerrrreee's what's happened to me so far since I got into the strange State of Indiana:

I took a Greyhound bus from Morgantown, West Virginia to Fort Wayne, Indiana. [This was three days ago, Campers]

I stayed at the Motel 6 on the first night and then figured that I would stay in one of the City's homeless shelters until my money comes through.

Most shelters that I've stayed at don't even open up until evening. So I parked myself at the downtown public library until five pm...and then I got on the phone.

What happened next STILL confounds me. I called United Way's local number for "First Call For Help" and they gave me the names and numbers of area shelters.

I called those shelters and they were all full.

I begged and I pleaded but couldn't get a bed in any of them.

In a town the freaking size of Fort Wayne??!!??

I checked the Salvation Army [who had drug-rehab units in several places around the City...I am obviously not eligible for that], Catholic Charities and the cops.

Nothing.

So I ended up walking out of downtown Fort Wayne...and then out of Fort Wayne...and followed the trail as it changed from Clinton Road to Highway 27 South.

And it got later and later and later.

Finally I sat down on a guard rail, took out my cell phone and called 911.

I was tired, it was dark, there were big trucks on the road that were having a difficult time seeing me [my flashlight was stolen while I was on the Greyhound] and my feet freaking HURT!!!

After talking to several people I finally got picked up by a sheriff who drove me three miles past the next county line and then...yes...you guessed it...dropped me off on the highway where I was again in the dead dark.

Sooooo...I walked on until a group of teenagers, driving back from a movie in Fort Wayne, picked me up and drove me to the next town: Decatur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back some memories. What a night. Glad you got through it.