Saturday, July 09, 2005

Good Cop, Bad Cop [Part One]:

Two days ago, I walked out of Fort Collins and waited on the ramp for a ride that never came. Well, not that night, anyway.

But I did have some visitors: Two mounties from the county came by and aimed a very bright spotlight in my face.

"Whatcha doin'? What's going on? What are you doing here?" asked the first cop, who is as tall as a good-sized tree.

"I'm sitting on my bag, waiting for a ride and just chilling out, Officer" was my response.

"Well, I've been on since 9pm and you're the most exciting thing I've seen all night" he observed.

[By this time it was 3:30 in the morning]

"Can I see some identification?" he asked. Meanwhile, his partner-against-crime just adopted a watchful stance with his arms crossed.

I gave him my id and after he ran it, he handed it back to me with a smile.

"Your birthdate is the same as mine." he said.

"That's cool" I answered and I was very happy when they assured me that I was okay to continue hitchhiking there.

At about 4am, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Across from me, on another ramp, a truck began to roll in.

No comments: