Monday, July 11, 2005

Good Cop, Bad Cop [Part Three]:

An hour later I walked up to Mickey D's, ate breakfast and then walked back down onto the ramp.

My first ride left me on a dead ramp out in the middle of nowhere. The driver had to make a left turn that took him down a road to an oil well. He said that he had to "take samples."

So I walked up onto the interstate and stopped by a tall sign that marked mile 288. And close by that mile marker sign I noticed a single, pink and gray child's snow boot.

It was lined with fuzzy pink material and decorated with a pink floral design.

I looked at the boot for a moment and then got my next ride. The woman driver took me to the Flying J truckstop outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Once there, I changed into some cooler clothes, got a tall cup of ice and a bottle of All Sport Extreme. Then I walked back over the bridge and onto I-25's northbound ramp.

18-wheelers began to rumble by and I figured that it would be just a matter of time before one of them offered me a ride.

By this time it was blazing hot and I was ready to get into the cool confines of an air-conditioned truck!

That's when the State Police officer, in his "Can't-Find-The-Criminals" cruiser, rolled up.

No comments: