CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Good Cop, Bad Cop [Part Two]:

I was tired, but keenly aware of my surroundings.

At 4am in the morning, in that whisper of darkness just before dawn, a strange piece of bad ju-ju slowly rolled around the opposite ramp...And stopped.

There was no traffic on the interstate. There was nobody at the drive-thru at the nearby MacDonald's. There was nobody on the frontage road.

Everything became quiet.

I stood up.

The truck idled.

I maintained my position and burned every part of the image into my brain. For future reference.

There was something about that truck.

I knew that beyond the dark windows of the tractor, a bad guy was looking back at me.

I knew it. And that's all that I have to say.

Some things in my life, I just know.

The tractor was yellow, with a sleeper door, no discernible company name on the main door and no outstanding markings at all. The truck pulled a flatbed trailer. And a yellowish light shone from underneath the trailer where it connected to the tractor.

After a couple of minutes, the driver continued up the ramp and slowly drove over the bridge and out of sight.

No comments: