Friday, July 22, 2005

Ruthie On The Road, Update

After two more rides, I finally reached Bismarck, North Dakota at ten pm on Saturday night.

The last driver dropped me off at the door of what he thought is a women's homeless shelter.

He was half right: It's a shelter...for men.

There is no shelter for single, adult women in Bismarck, North Dakota.

But there is Jeremy.

And he works at that men's shelter. He took me back to his home, kept me there and nursed me back to health for four days.

He cooked meals, told jokes and shared the view from his deck with me.

Jeremy grows veggies in big tubs on his large deck and does crafts on his kitchen table.

When I said goodbye to him he bought me a new Walkman to replace the one that was stolen from me outside Cheyenne, Wyoming.

No comments: