Friday, August 05, 2005

Ruthie On The Road, Update cont'd

I was exhausted. Tired down to my toenails.

When I located the shelter I noticed a sign on the door. It directed anyone who came after hours to contact the local police department. It also told me not to knock on the door.

I had already talked to the cops.

So I slung my bag onto the grass and sat down on the porch.

Several moments later a "woman" with a short hair cut and the personality of a pit bull, opened up the door.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. No...demanded.

"I just hitchhiked in to Cass Lake and the cops there drove me to the Holiday station and I just walked down here." I replied.

"You can't stay here." she said.

"I just want to sit on the porch until daylight." I explained.

"You can't do that." she said.

"Well, why not and where am I supposed to go at three in the morning?"

"We have a rule here that you can't sit on the porch and I don't know where you should go."

It was obvious that the femi-Nazi didn't care where I went, either.

"Well, geez loueez, lady, I already stopped a cop car here in Bemidji and they themselves gave me the directions to here."

She looked at me with a combination of impatience and disbelief.

"You can't stay here and that's final. Now leave!"

Once again, I got up, slung my bag over my shoulders and headed back down the sidewalk into the night.

No comments: