Thursday, August 25, 2005

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I thought I saw Dwight Gooden the day before yesterday. I honestly thought I did. In, of all places, Pocatello, Idaho.

The guy was waiting to cross the main street in that city and appeared to be very nervous. He kept looking around and walked very fast.

But nahhhh...It couldn't be!

I left Pocatello and headed down the ramp toward the evening sun. I put out my thumb and planned to hitchhike through the night to Boise, Idaho.

Suddenly a cop cruiser rolled up and stopped. A cop, who took an unusual amount of time talking into his radio, finally climbed out of the car.

"You can't hitchhike anywhere in the State of Idaho" he declared.

"Holy How-Could-That-Be, Batman?" I exclaimed.

The cop tried to stare me down. He was not amused by my humor.

I gave him my identification card and after he realized that I am not a criminal, he asked for my Social Security card, too.

After scrutinizing them and making sure that both of the signatures matched, he handed my cards back.

"So what do you expect me to do...Just walk down this dark highway with my flashlight?" I asked.

"Yeah, and you can't hitchhike...No thumb, no sign, nothing. If I see you with your thumb out or holding a sign, I will arrest you for disobeying a lawful order." He replied.

"Just how do you expect me to make it through the dark tonight without getting flattened by a truck?" I asked, glaring at his Dudley Do-Wrong face.

"Very carefully" he replied.

I now know that the law enforcement in the State of Idaho includes one big ass.

No comments: