CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ruthie's Birthday Hitchhike, Continued

"Well" I said to myself, "This is a heck of a way to start my birthday."

After walking across the bridge, down the ramp and onto the interstate, I stood. And stood. Then stood some more.

Finally an eighteen-wheeler pulled over and rumbled to a stop.

I grabbed my pack and ran up to the tractor and tried to open the door. It was locked.

Then a black driver with a round, unshaven face popped his head out of the passenger-side window.

"Where ya goin'?" he asked.

"Washington DC" I replied.

"Oh really." he said and seemed to be upset when I told him my destination.

"Yeah, really." I said and smiled.

"Naw, I'm not gonna do it" he said and shook his head.

Then he got back into his seat, started the truck up and pulled away from the shoulder.

Just like that.

I flipped him off.

About ten minutes later, another truck stopped.

This truck was pulling a tank with placards on it that said "HOT."

Yet the driver pulled the rig up beside me, squealed air out of the brakes, and stopped.

"Now what?" I wondered.

[Post cont'd.]

No comments: