Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ruthie's Birthday Hitchhike, Continued

This time the passenger door opened and when I looked up I saw a middle-aged woman sitting in the driver seat.

"Whatcha ya'all doin' out here?" she asked in a twang that could only have sprung from Oklahoma.

"Having my birthday" I replied and climbed up into the passenger seat.

"Well, before we get started, I gotta ask ya'all somethin' very important." she declared.

"Okay." I said.

"Do yeuuuwww buhleeeve in Jeeesus Charaaaast?" she asked.

I looked that woman straight in the eye and said:

"I not only believe in Jesus Christ but I also know that His Father would like me to have a much better birthday than any trucker has offered me so far this morning."

Then I folded my arms and sat back in the seat.

"Where are ya'all goin'?" she said, in a much quieter tone of voice.

"Washington DC to protest the United States presence in the Middle East." I explained.

The lady looked at me, looked at the road, looked back at me and started up the truck.

This time when the truck pulled away, I rolled off with it.[post, cont'd.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go to Washington to protest with you. I have been against this war from the beginning. I have written several poems in protest, as well as a couple of rants ragarding what is going on in Loisiana right now. BTW, glad you did not get caught in the hurricane.

If you want to check out any of my anti-war poems, or my anti-Bush rants, here are the links:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I can't figure out how to post my links, and I have to take my son to cub scouts. All the best to you. I will try to post them later.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

GREAT! I would love to read your poems. :)