Monday, July 31, 2006

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Recently my Yahoo avatar featured fireworks in the background. There's an obvious reason for that: I love fireworks!

Friday night I snuggled down in my sleeping bag, put my head on my backpack, and fell asleep while listening to the roar of the Pacific Ocean.

At 1:30 am I awoke to the boom and hiss of a sparkling purple firework as it exploded above me.

I looked down the hill and saw ghostly shapes [That's what they looked like] lighting one firework after another...On the beach.

"Wow!" I thought, "This is cool!"

The shimmering show continued for ten-minutes and then just as fast as the wraiths appeared...They were gone. Vanished.

Hmmm.

I sniffed the sulfur in the air and decided that, yeah, it really happened. And then I lay back on my pack and fell back to sleep.

Then another light pierced my eyes. Only this one was white and blinding.

"Get that thing outta my eyes!" I yelled, coming out of my sleeping bag.

The light lowered just a fraction as a no-nonsense voice declared "Police!"

Still in a state of ticked-off semi-consciousness, I said, "I don't give a darn who you are. Don't be pointing that light in my eyeballs anymore!"

"What are you doing down here?" asked the lone officer.

"Trying to sleep." I growled.

"You know about any fireworks tonight?" He asked.

"Oh yeah, they were lovely and I really enjoyed them." I replied, smiling.

I know that fireworks are highly illegal in the State of Oregon. I don't care.

"Who set them off?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. I really couldn't tell from my vantage point. But the fireworks themselves were really nice." I said and pointed to the section of beach where they originated from.

"And you don't know anything about this?" He pressed.

"Nope." I answered, "I'm just trying to get some sleep."

He let me go then and I caught a few more hours of shut-eye before I finally met the dawn.

Maybe they were angels.

No comments: