Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The next day, after eating a bodacious breakfast, I limped back out onto the highway and put out my thumb.

I was fed, rested and dryed-out. Yeah!

[I'll never forget that hot tub!]

I got picked-up by a man who drove me into Altoona. We drove around and tried to find a shelter. No dice.

We eventually found out that the women's shelter burned down last year.

So I ended up in a room in a hotel.

In the midst of all of that, I met a man and his sister.

Because there is no shelter in Altoona, I called down to the YWCA in Wheeling, West Virginia and asked if they could keep me for two weeks.

I got a yes but when I got there, the people who were supposed to fund my stay changed their minds.

So... the man and his sister drove back down to Wheeling and picked me up.

They brought me back here to Altoona, Pennsylvania where I will be renting a room in that same hotel next month.

Until then I am staying with the man and his sister at her home.

The sister works at the hotel where I will be staying this winter.

Isn't life something?

No comments: