Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I walked out of Green Tree in the rain and stopped to ask directions from a man in a tire store. He [without my asking] gave me money for a city bus that took me through Pittsburgh to Monroeville.

A cop there stopped, checked me out and then drove me to the end of that city and dropped me off.

That night I walked through a storm and got colder and colder and colder.

Finally I made a 911 call and then backtracked to an all-night gas station.

When I walked out of the ladies room, five cops were standing there waiting for me.

I blinked, smiled and then said hello.

They got me over a Super 8 motel where I checked-in at 4:30 in the morning.

I was cold, soaked to the skin and I stared when I walked into the only room available at that hour: the hottub room.

I opened the door and there it was...shining and ready for me...a huge hot tub with steaming water and magic jets.

And you better believe, Campers, I stripped down and jumped in that puppy!!!

Later on that morning I moved to a regular room and slept for hours.

1 comment:

Danna Hobart said...

Hey, Rithie,

I loved the sunflowe picture you posted.

I was thinking about you because I am reading the book Into the Wild in my English class, and it reminded me that I had not checked out your blog in a long time. It also got me wondering if you had heard of Chris McCandless, and if you have, what your thoughts are about him and his journey?