Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas is Dead

Christmas is dead.

I stayed in Altoona, Pennsylvania long enough to establish residency and collect all of the documents that I thought I would need. I paid my rent, I got new glasses and I waited for the day when I would get my new picture ID.

On December 1, I took a bus to the motor vehicle place in Altoona. And I showed the man there an official copy of my birth certificate and Social Security card. I also showed him paperwork from the post office that proved that my address had changed to the new one in Altoona.

I told him that I wanted to get a new picture ID card.

He refused.

He said that in the State of Pennsylvania, I couldn't get a new ID card because I was living in a hotel. I showed him my rent receipts but he wouldn't budge.

And without an ID card, I am unable to take care of banking and many other crucial needs on my own.

I managed to get someone to help me cash my check. But I knew that I'd never get that chance again. No bank would tolerate that for an extended period of time.

Now I have lost everything. And I am angry. More furious that I have ever been in my life.

I know that I can't consistently pay my rent anywhere until I get an ID card.

And since my last ID was issued in the State of Oregon, I boarded a bus and headed west.

I got sick outside of Chicago and had to go to a hospital and then a motel for a couple of days. Now I am in Grand Junction, Colorado and I'm broke.

After staying at a shelter last night, my Sony Walkman was stolen from me today.

And I am going to have hitchhike out of here tonight and I don't even have a decent warm jacket.

I have gloves and warm socks and two scarves. But I don't have a warm hat or a coat of any kind.

There's snow on the ground here.

I'm done believing in Christmas. And after the Catholic sisters in Altoona prayed for me and everything just got worse, I am done believing in God.

The people here for the most part are selfish, backward, lying jerks.

I haven't met one decent individual that has taken the time to help me with a thing in this city in the past 24-hours.

The crowd at the shelter are spoiled, whining, rip-off artists with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I hope that this city gets a slap of bad karma. If it does, I'll smile.

And as for your admonishments...save'em!

I don't want to hear them.

After this experience, I am through with faith. Period!

There is a wide, vast difference between talking and doing.

I'm about done with both.

6 comments:

bote said...

Forget christmas. I hope things start looking up for you soon. Take care and good luck Ruth. See you on the road.

Burfica said...

Gosh I'm sorry about all of that Ruthie.

Just when we think we have climbed out of the bottom of the shit pile, the universe takes another huge cosmic dump on our heads.

Shelleigh said...

Ruthie, you have been through worse and have never given up. This is not the time to give up. Hope lives Ruthie; you're spreading that word, remember? Please have faith... mustard seed. It's still there, I can see it.

I love you.

(ps: your visual verification isn't working, so I can't post at your Sky).

Chell... you are beautiful. Birds of a feather, sister.

(still waiting on the stinkin' root beer recipe! Gaaaah. Maybe smoke signals would work... *wink*).

<3

Posted by: Pixie | December 08, 2006 at 14:34

There... that's mo betta!

Shelleigh said...

Note: This was not an admonishment.

*wink*

mary said...

Hang in there.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

I want to thank every one of you for your kind comments and well-wishes to me.

It has been quite a journey and I am happy to be back with Janie here in Altoona.

Merry Christmas to you!!