Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ruthie On The Road, Update VI

The Apple Man drove me to another truck stop two exits up and then took charge.

He talked to the girl at the counter and then got on his cell phone. When was all said and done, he bought a bus ticket to Altoona, Pennsylvania for over $130.00!

But the bus had already passed by that day.

Just then, a trucker who overheard the conversation, came to the rescue!

His name is Willie and he is a rascal smile in a Black skin.

He offered to drive me to Madison, Wisconsin and put me on the bus there.

So The Apple Man reserved the ticket at the will-call window in downtown Madison.

And Willie drove like a maniac to get me on the bus at 7 p.m. that night.

Legal or not, Willie drove his tractor and trailer right up to the bus terminal. I made it on the bus with fifteen-minutes to spare!

And as I sat back in the seat I thought "I'm finally going back to Altoona. I will be at Janie's house for Christmas."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind words for Danny Brown. I am his mother's oldest sister. You have a very good heart and he will really be missed. Thank you.