CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update IV

I was sitting on my pack on the side of an on-ramp outside of North Little Rock, Arkansas. People in nice cars and trucks, all dressed up for church, rode past and ignored me.

All of them did.

I finally went to the cops and they drove me out to a series of ramps outside of the metro area.

As I limped up to a guardrail, a trucker drove by and hit the air horn.

Fifteen-minutes later he returned.

He told me that he didn't have enough time to stop when he saw me the first time (which was true, because where I was at the traffic was racing up pretty darn fast) and so he drove up ahead and turned around for a second try.

He picked me up and we took off down the interstate...far away from Arkansas!

We stopped and ate BBQ, then he bought me a cane for my foot at Wal-Mart, talked to me all night and dropped me off where I am now: Colorado.

Before he pulled away, he took a gold necklace with a silver crucifix off his neck and handed it to me.

"Go with God, my Sister" he said and I did.

I stayed in a nice little motel last night and am supposed to be boarding a Greyhound bus to another small city about seventy-miles away. I'm not going to make it.

And I don't care.

I'm pretty sure that someone will pick me up after I amble out to the Love's store and stick out my thumb.

I'll mail the ticket back to the lady who bought it for me.

This library offered me hours on this terminal, and I have decided to make the most of it.

My left foot is in bad shape, the face on my skin is burned and peeling and this update is long overdue.

[UPDATE 2008:]I did get a ride out of there that night. And I consider myself blessed. Because a killer tornado hit that part of Colorado the very next day.]

1 comment:

blupencl said...

Hi Ruthie. I'm sorry you weren't picked up in my city - but we are all afraid to pick up strangers. North Little Rock is also a high-crime area. You were just in a bad place to be hitching. Sorry. Hope your foot gets better soon.