Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The following is a copy of an email that I just sent to my friends in Idaho:

Hello Rick and Connie...

This has become a total disaster!

And I don't ever want to hear anyone tell me "work with the system and
get yourself stabilized" ever again!

Because that is precisely what I have been attempting to do...and I am
failing...terribly.

Granted, I shouldn't have left Alaska...but the material for the book
is going to be worth it. I have to look at the time and trials since
2004 in that light. Otherwise, nothing is worth anything and I know
that isn't true.

I am at the library, where I will use this computer for the next hour,
and that is it.

I am going to try to get a shuttle bus out of here [I am in Aberdeen,
Washington] and then when the bus stops, I will be on my own.

Totally on my own.

Yesterday, I tried to find a place to stay in Olympia. The Salvation
Army shelter in Olympia is full and there is only one toilet and one
shower for fifteen women!

Needless to say, while I was there, a fight broke out.

I was not involved.

But that and the demeanor of the other women when they watched me walk
in the dorm...made me back out of there yesterday and not look back.

I went to a place called "Bread And Roses." When I got there, young
people were breaking open beer cans and making drug deals. I AM NOT
JOKING!

No comments: