Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update II

I have encountered the best and worst people on the road. But even a seasoned hitcher like me wasn't prepared for the cold reception that I received outside of Mountain Home, Idaho.

I was exhausted, hot, and unable to stand anymore at my post on the side of the ramp to the interstate.

So I sat down and burned. I was thirsty and getting very overheated.

Yes, I had changed into cooler clothes and drank quite a bit of water before going out there. But the afternoon sun shone straight down, bounced off the asphalt and concrete and microwaved me.

My face got very hot and my lips cracked.

When my heart began to pound and I stopped sweating, I knew that I was in trouble.

I reached for my cell phone and discovered that it was out of signal range.

And that's when the old man from West Virginia stopped his car.

No comments: