Friday, May 18, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update V

I left the hotel the next day and as soon as I walked up onto the interstate outside of Grand Junction, Colorado...a heavy-set State cop rolled up in his cruiser and stopped me.

He gave me a ride about four miles up the road to a ramp that at any other time would have been perfect.

But on that afternoon, the UV index skyrocketed, the humidity blew a record and the hot sun blazed across my face.

I sat down on my pack by a light pole and prayed for someone to stop.

Car after truck after bus after van passed me by.

And then a sweet Hispanic woman named Rosa pulled-up and rescued me from that roadside roast-a-thon!

She got me to a store/gas station and came back with a large icy fountain drink and a frozen Snickers bar.

That gift and the air-conditioned ride perked me back up and I continued on my way to the small city of Rifle, Colorado.

There, I was finally picked-up by a woman with a eight-month-old baby in the backseat of her big, black truck. She is a volunteer firefighter and she brought me right in to the bedroom community of Silt, Colorado.

We walked into the police station and she asked the officer to help me. After a few minutes on the phone, the officer negotiated a relay and I ended-up riding with him to the next town. Another officer picked me up there and took me to the next town. And when I arrived THERE, another officer drove me to the small city of Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

By that time, the sun had set and I was standing in the middle of the downtown district with no idea where to go.

After a few minutes of thought, I called the local police and an officer about twenty-years my junior finally showed-up.

"We don't have anything here to help you out. So I can give you a ride back out to the on ramp to the interstate. But, you need to know that it is a City law that you cannot sleep anywhere out there. If you do and I catch you tonight, I will take you to jail." He said, with a condescending smirk.

"If I fall asleep out there tonight" I said, giving him a glare that could have melted his badge, "You better hope that I don't get attacked and you have to take me to the morgue!"

The officer blinked.

"Never mind!" I said and stormed off to the nearby gas station to try and get a cold drink of water.

No comments: