Friday, May 18, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update VI

"How are you?" asked a sweet-faced woman in a kind voice.

"Not good, awful, in fact, right now." I responded, shaking my head.

"Would you happen to have a water fountain or somewhere that I could get a cold drink of water?" I asked, looking totally forlorn.

"Oh my...your lips are burnt to a crisp!" exclaimed the woman, as her husband came out of the gas station and flashed me a glance of concern.

"Go inside and get yourself something to drink and then sit out here on the ledge. I'll talk with you after I finish up with these customers." She said and steered me toward the gas station store door.

"Get yourself anything that you want out of the cooler." She called back over her shoulder. And then she and her husband went to help some people with their gas.

I looked at the cooler and heard a tall can of Arizona Ice Tea call to me. I answered.

A dog that looks, for all the world, like Duke, the Bush's baked beans dog, loped up and licked my knee.

I patted the dog and after a few minutes, the woman came back to talk to me with a smile on her face.

No comments: