Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Hello, Campers! Rather than jump to the present, I am going to tell you what happened to me after my last entry [April 25].

I never did get on Mr. Wing Wang's bus again. Instead, I hitch-hiked out and got back to Astoria, Oregon.

It was there that I met a man named Phil, who is a true angel!

He took the time to call [from his office] all over Oregon and Washington State in an effort to find a shelter that would be willing to keep me for eight weeks. That is all the time I need to get the money I need to return back to Alaska.



To our dismay, we discovered that no shelter in the State is willing to keep me for that amount of time.



Nope.

Unless, of course, I forget about Alaska [no way!] and establish residency in their community.

I obviously don't want to do that.

The domestic violence shelters won't take me because I'm not tied to a violent, psycho abuser. The family shelters are out. Ditto for the rehab units.

So I set out on the road to find somewhere that has room at the inn. On my terms.

I hitchhiked from Oregon to Idaho to Utah to Colorado and to where I am now in Kansas.

Before I left Astoria, Phil pressed $100.00 in my hand. Thank you for your generosity, Phil!

No comments: