Friday, August 24, 2007

Ruthie's Summer V

I returned to Oregon, where I trudged up the breakdown lane of eastbound I-84, feeling half-dead.

JC, bald-headed, with tattoos on his big arms and earrings in his ears, stopped to pick me up. I looked past his two young sons and saw a smile that I knew came from God.

JC drove me back to his home in Camas, Washington. I stayed at his house with his wife and sons for a week...and left well.

One night while I was there, in their huge, fancy home, a group of neighbors gathered in the back yard next door.

JC told me that the neighbors are all snobs.

I asked him what he planned to do about that fact.

He put in a "GodSmack" CD and turned the volume on the player all the way up.

The neighbors glared at the house and scattered.

We laughed.

Then I walked outside on the deck above JC and Holly's Koi Pond and sang a loud rendition of Janis Joplin's song "Mercedes Benz."

The neighbors gathered in front of their kitchen window and stared.

When I finished singing, I slowly bowed and walked back inside the house, sliding the glass door in place with a slam.

No comments: