Sunday, February 10, 2008

Another Hitchhiking Memory

[The Hitcher]

I was up all night
Just trying to get a ride
Waving my thumb til daylight
Shivering outside...

Finally, I sat in the grass
Curled up by a tree
Listened to the traffic pass
As mad as I could be...

*I'm A Sunshine Sleeper*
Head on my pack
I just want to leave here
And never come back!

...slow down...
And look at my face
Open the door...Look once more
And get me out of this place!

[The Driver]

I've got a headache.
I've had a bad fight with my wife.
I don't know to break
Out of this black hole in my life.

Who's that huddled there on the ground?
She's laying so still, not making a sound.
Maybe she needs a ride to the next town.
Think I'll hit the brake and turn around.

[The Hitcher]

*Sunshine Sleeper*
Head on my pack
I just want to leave here
And never come back!

...slow down...
And look at my face
Open the door...Look once more
And get me out of this place!

Thank you, Mister, for the ride.
You sure rolled me down a lot of miles!

[The Driver]

Thank you, Sister, for healing me inside.
And giving me back my smile!

[The Hitcher]

Yeah, I was up all night
Shivering in the wind outside
Waving my thumb til daylight
Then you stopped and gave me a ride...
-Poem By Ruth Rader. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: