Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Simple Point

I went to the grocery store last night. And while I was walking, vehicles drove by and people walked passed in chatting groups. It was an easy-going evening in my little town.

As I rolled my cart down an aisle, a little boy darted away from his dad. He didn't see me and almost backed into the cart.

The dad told the kid to "watch out."

I winked at the boy and said, "That's okay, I was a kid once."

At the check-out counter, I watched the tired lady ring-up another woman's groceries.

When it was my turn, I said every kind thing I could think of to the lady.

She managed a grin and I reminded her that it was almost quitting time.

Then I flashed her a thousand-watt smile and rolled my cart outside.

The man with the little boy watched me as he loaded his groceries in his rig.

Then he walked over to me and asked if I wanted a ride home.

I looked over at his big SUV and noticed two more older children sitting there.

We shook hands and he helped load MY groceries in his vehicle.

Then we both climbed in and I said hello to everybody.

I had noticed the Idaho license tag on his rig and asked him if he was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

"Yes, I am." he said, and looked surprised.

"I'm not", I said, "But that's not the point."

"You did a kind thing," I said, "That's what this is all about."

"Well, I saw you and that girl behind the counter and I thought that I would see if you needed a hand tonight."

It's real simple, Campers: Life is all about taking the time to give a blessing.

2 comments:

michael said...

You're absolutely correct that life is about taking the time to give a blessing. Unfortunately, most people are waiting to recieve a blessing first.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

"Most people" are pretty giving, Michael. It is unfortunate that you feel that way. Maybe you need a hug to change your view of humanity.

{{MICHAEL!}}