Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The next morning, I got tired of sitting on that ramp and walked up on to the interstate.

Now, Idaho has a kinda-sorta universal rule that says that a person can walk on the shoulder of the interstate...but not hitchhike or fly a sign.

Which is something that I will never understand.

Anyway, at that point, I didn't care what anybody said...I just wanted to get the hell out of there!

So, I walked up a respectable distance, dropped my pack, turned around and stuck out my thumb.

About ten-minutes later, a guy stopped and picked me up. Just like that. After I waited on that stupid ramp all night!

He gave me some hot coffee from his thermos and dropped me off at a park in downtown Idaho Falls, Idaho.

He said that he had some things to do and would return to help me out.

I put on my fleece jacket (it was cold there by the river), put my head on my pack and fell right to sleep.

About an hour later, I was awakened by a couple who were having a noisy discussion by the boat launch.

The man wanted to put the boat in the water one way and the woman wanted to do it another way.

I stared at them, their over sized SUV and their black and chrome (yes, it was trimmed in chrome!) boat. The woman saw me first and whispered something to the man.
He turned around and shot me a disgusted glance before he returned to his Very Important Boat problem.

On a whim I decided to ask them if they were LDS.

They both turned around and nodded "yes."

The picture became very clear to me then and I put my head back on my pack and drifted back to sleep.

The guy who had picked me up in Black Foot finally returned and asked me if I wanted to get a motel room with him.

"No," I replied and he drove me down to the ramp to the interstate.

No comments: