Friday, June 20, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

After the fiasco in Brattleboro, Vermont (see "Ruthie In New England III" in the May archives)and a night in Claremont, New Hampshire...I left on the road again.

After all, nobody in Claremont really wanted to me to stay.

That section of New England is slowly dying from METH and an ailing economy.

And after being kicked to the curb by every agency in town, I walked out of Claremont.

When I sat down on a guard rail, it began to rain.

After about fifteen-minutes, I was picked up by a man in a big, black pickup truck.

He was young and looked tired.

After a minute, he said, "I just had a big fight with my wife and she kicked me out of the house."

Then he laughed and said, "It's happened before and it will probably happen again."

"What's more important," I asked him "The fact that she threw you out or the subject of the argument?"

The driver stayed silent for a moment, and then replied, "You know, I'm gonna have to think about that."

Then he stopped the truck by a ramp, handed me a twenty dollar bill and said, "Thank you."

No comments: