Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I tried all day to get a ride. I even broke for lunch at the truck stop and then returned to my post.

FINALLY, I got picked up by a family who live in a small town off the interstate.

When they turned their vehicle toward their destination, they dropped me off on a totally dead ramp.

Out in the middle of nowhere.

I looked around, walked underneath the overpass bridge and peed on Kansas.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

And then I flagged down a lady who was delivering the rural mail. I told her that I needed to talk to an officer about finding shelter.

She drove into the little town and brought back the local law.

The officer turned out to be a perfect example of sanity and my saving grace.

He put me in the front seat of his cruiser and drove me over to the local cop shop.

Then he arranged for me to get some food, drink and a much-needed motel room for the night.

After I checked in to the motel, I walked over to the local grocery/convenience store with my food voucher.

And after side-stepping hound dog poo and sliding between pickup trucks, I realized that I was smack in the middle of redneck Kansas.

But when I hit the pillow in my room that night, I thought, "Yeehaw" and fell right to sleep.

No comments: