Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The guy who picked me up outside of Idaho Falls, Idaho is a Mormon. And when I told him the story about the couple and their boat in Idaho Falls, he just shook his head.

"I think that they have too much," I said.

"If they didn't have so many big, expensive things to worry about then they might have been happier with each other and the rest of the world this morning," I declared.

"I think you're right, Ruthie," he said and I was shocked by his automatic response.

"You're not going to argue with me?" I asked in a surprised tone of voice.

"No, there's nothing to argue about," he replied.

"I think that they were more concerned with my have-not status than I was with their have quota," I said.

"Actually, I think you scared them," he answered.

"How??!" I asked, watching his face.

"They saw your pack, right?" He asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Well, that pack represents a sort of freedom that they know they'll never find on that big, chrome-covered boat," he explained.

I thought about what he said and I decided that for such a young man, he had a tremendous amount of insight into the human psyche. The Mormon one, anyway.

When we got to Dillon, Montana, he bought me a meal at Mickey D's and dropped me off on the ramp.

As he drove away, I wondered when I was ever going to really stop and get a decent rest again.

No comments: