Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I walked a ways down the interstate, and another cop car pulled up behind me.

And after a minute, a cop that I saw last year on the same stretch of interstate, walked up to me with a big grin on his face.

"Well, how ya doin'...long time no see, lady...so you're coming back through here again, are ya?" He said, that smile still on his face.

"Yeah and I'm aiming for the guardrail under that overpass," I said.

He knew exactly what I meant.

He snickered, never asked for my ID, and told me that he'd check on me later. I told him that by that time I'd be long gone.

That made him laugh.

"Yeah," I thought to myself, "I can always count on a cop for a solid vote of confidence."

Then I limped up to the guardrail, sat down, took a long swallow from my water bottle and then stuck out my thumb.

After about a half hour of thumb-waving, a young man pulled over and gave me a ride to Dillon, Montana.

I rejoiced in the fact that I was finally out of Idaho!

No comments: