Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Okay...now that I am in a different place and situation, I will post the update that I should have been free to put up the other day.

First of all, I have hitchhiked up highway 97 from Susanville, California to where I am now: Madras, Oregon.

After spending a relaxing night in a motel, (courtesy of a man who picked me up at the edge of Reno, Nevada), I walked out of Susanville, California. The day turned hot and I was thankful for the two drivers who made sure that I got to Klamath Falls, Oregon.

But when I reached Klamath Falls, I was told that the women's shelter was full. So I contacted the cops, who didn't care. Then I connected with a so-called "crisis center" where three "staff" women discussed me like I wasn't sitting right there in a chair.

I finally decided that they were useless and left.

Then I walked out of that miserable city, found a porch in front of a building at a closed weigh station, sat down and stayed there for the rest of the night.

The next morning, I waited for a gas station/convenience store to open and got myself some munchies and diet Mt. Dew. Then I started walking up northbound highway 97 with my thumb out.

Eight hours later a lady finally stopped beside where I eventually decided to sit down.

She gave me water and drove me north to a rest area.

Then, while I freshened up and changed clothes in the ladies room, that lady drove back to her home and made me six baloney sandwiches. She returned and handed the bag of food to me with a smile.

The sun was just about to set when a driver from Canada stopped his big rig and picked me up.

I rode with him to a truck stop in a small town, where he shut down and we slept in the truck for the rest of the night.

The next morning, the driver arranged for me to get a shower and soon I was on the road again. Only this time, I was in a State Forest.

I was walking along, limping on my sore left foot, when a small lady in a big, blue pickup stopped behind me.

She asked me what was wrong with my foot, I explained the symptoms and then she took me to her house in the woods.

"I'll start making some phone calls and help you," she promised.

In less than 24 hours, her promise became an ugly lie.

No comments: