CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Sunday beat down on my body with a 96 degree heat and 90% humidity double punch.

I sipped Diet Mt. Dew from an ice-filled fountain cup and watched all the Jaded Jesus People pass me by.

Finally, a man with a big heart and a bigger dog, stopped and picked me up. He brought me to a "dead ramp" but did bring me back more Diet Dew from a nearby gas station.

I walked up to the interstate and a trucker from Nicaragua (There's a whole United Nations out on America's Interstates today, I swear!) almost blew a tire and burned the brakes on his rig when he stopped to pick me up.

He fed and watered me and left me at a truck stop in a small city called Chesterfield, Indiana yesterday.

Then a guy who runs an organic farm drove me from there to ugly, nasty and worthless Marion, Indiana.

Now I know that the garbage-community of Gary has a cousin farther south in Indiana.

I searched for a shower, a meal and shelter in that city for several hours before I finally gave up.

But a funny thing happened on my way east on highway 18...

No comments: