Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Hello, Campers!!! Summer greetings from a small town in Indiana!

Yes, I am typing this from the Hoosier State.

How did I get here?

Well.

I got to The Dalles, Oregon after I was picked up by a young man named Nathan. He drove me to The Big D and dropped me off after handing me $21.00 from his wallet.

I bought myself dinner and walked out of The Dalles, glancing back at the grass fire across the river. The Western side of the Country has burned quite a bit this year. And although I now have to contend with high humidity on this side of the United States, I don't miss the smell of smoke in the air.

After the sun set, I found a guard rail, put down my pack, spread out a t-shirt, laid down and went to sleep.

The next morning, I combed my hair, washed my face and brushed my teeth (bottled water is helpful), sat on the guard rail and stuck out my thumb.

A woman from the State of New York picked me up and drove me to Pendleton, Oregon. After awhile, a trucker stopped and drove me to Ontario, Oregon. Then a woman drove me to Caldwell, Idaho. And that's where I remained until 2:30 A.M. the next morning.

I fell asleep, while sitting on my pack and leaning against a light pole. Suddenly I heard a beep and opened my eyes. A white minivan backed up and a woman called to me.

Her name is Rosa and she makes burritos and other Mexican treats for a living. She was on her way to access ingredients for her cooking biz (yes, in the middle of the night) and saw me sleeping on the corner.

Rosa dropped me off and asked me to sleep in her other truck that was parked in front of her home. She got me a quilt and a pillow from inside.

"Just stay here and you'll be alright. I have to go do my prep and sales and I will be back at 10A.M."

I smiled and thought, "What the heck" and was soon curled up and snoring against the truck door.

At 10 A.M., Rosa returned and invited me into her house. I took a shower, ate some of her bodacious burritos, washed my clothes and watched her big screen TV.

"That TV cost me 900 burritos," she said.

Rosa is a marketing genius who sells her burritos for a buck a piece. She knows that a quality product sold at a low price can equal big sales.

Late in the day, Rosa and her boyfriend drove me to a Flying J truck stop located outside Twin Falls, Idaho.

All I wanted to do was get out of the Spud State!

No comments: