Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The main shelter in "New Philly" allowed me to wash my clothes, shower, eat and take a nap. But in the evening they put me out.

Yeah.

The man who runs the place said that since I was only going to be in town for a couple of days, I didn't really rate a bed at his shelter.

Instead, he sent me down to "The church building with the red door." AKA the local Episcopal Church building.

There, I shared space on the thinly carpeted floor of the sanctuary with several grizzled old men. Yep, I was the only female in the group.

None of us was allowed to use the building's bathroom facilities. So we ran a path back-and-forth between the church and a Speedway gas station.

After two days of that, I left.

And yesterday, I found myself sitting in the hot sun on yet another guard rail...but this time it was located just south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

No comments: