CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I reached Idaho Falls, Idaho and walked out to the guardrail where I knew I could rest for the remainder of the night.

The following morning, I walked down the interstate and was picked up by a young trucker named Steve from South Africa. He is white, with a heavy Dutch accent and looks just like the guy who plays that bratty kid "Stuart" on MADTV.

Steve was and is a saint. He helped me get a shower, wash my clothes, buy two new shirts, check my email on his laptop and bought me a steak dinner. We started talking and never stopped until I left him at a Billings, Montana truck stop the next day.

We had fun and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. Steve puts every ignorant American-born trucker to shame. Not one of them will ever hold a neon candle to Steve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANX FOR YOUR TIME AND FRIENDSHIP. YOU ARE ONE OF A FEW GOOD PEOPLE WALKING THE EARTH. WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK AND FORTUNE YOU CAN DREAM OF. HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOU SEARCH FOR.
YOUR SOUTH-AFRICAN FRIEND.
STEVE.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Thank you, Steve! And right back atcha, good buddy! I think of you often as the miles roll away. I don't think there will ever be a 24-hour period on this trip that will be more special than the hours that we spent together.

MWAH!!!! HUGS!!!!