Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I sat in the searing heat and prayed for a ride. Five-and-a-half hours later, I got one.

But nobody from Pennsylvania stopped to pick me up...Oh Noooo.

My driver and his other passenger are railroad guys from West Virginia.

And they drove me a good distance: from south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to just south of Buffalo, New York.

Yes, Campers, I am now in the nasty State of New York. And so far, I don't like it at all.

Below is a copy of an email that I sent to the man who oversees the operations at the Men's Rescue Mission in Buffalo. Because of the following experience, I decided not to approach the women's shelter and instead left Buffalo late this afternoon. I have no idea what I am going to do for food and shelter tonight:

I am sending this email to you because I think you should know about
what happened to me this morning at your so-called "Christian"
mission.

I am hitchhiking across the United States...from Ontario, Oregon to
Portland, Maine. I arrived in Buffalo late last night.

And I'm pretty tired. Happy but exhausted.

My left foot is swollen from tendinitis which is aggravated by the
walking that I do with a full pack on my back.

Still I thank God for my incredible adventure and will continue to persevere.

I stayed at the drop-in center last night and when it closed, a friend
that I met and I walked over to the men's mission. It was too early
for breakfast and we didn't know what to do or where to go.

So we put our packs down in the grass by the back parking lot and fell asleep.

We were awakened by a very angry voice emanating from a burnt-orange
colored Hummer. (I think it is quite an expensive rig for someone to
be driving who works in any capacity at a homeless shelter.) The male
voice demanded: "You can't be there...Get up and get off the property
right now!

No good morning. No "how are you?" No "please move to another spot
across the street because we don't allow people to lay on the grass
here, thank you" and most certainly...No "God bless you."

I heard in the tone of voice and felt in the vibes a hatred that was
palpable to the bone.

And I have heard no such thing from anyone in my journey across the
United States.

I decided then and there to have nothing further to do with your
organization...since my Father God, who has walked every mile beside
me...has never admonished me that way and I believe He never will.
Nothing that happened to me at your facility this morning had anything
to do with God. Nor did it have anything to do with faith, hope, love
or the Golden Rule.

Matt - 21:12 & 13

Sincerely,
Ruth Rader
Hitchhiker From Oregon State

No comments: