Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I returned to highway 97 and got a ride from a young woman all the way up to Redmond, Oregon. But I found no assistance there.

So I hitchhiked by the guardrail and breathed a sigh of relief when a trucker, headed for Vancouver, Washington, stopped his rig in a cloud of dust.

He drove me to Madras, Oregon (where I am right now) and I asked for help at a small truck stop.

A cook from the nearby cafe drove me up to the sheriff's department.

The folks there gave me a voucher to a very nice motel. The only problem was, I had to walk there by myself.

It took two hours to reach the motel and by that time, my foot was KILLING ME!!!

I stayed at the motel for the rest of the night and then contacted a nearby shelter yesterday morning.

A guy from the shelter drove over, picked me up and brought me back to the shelter. The shelter is actually a very nice, older home.

And after a few minutes of conversation with a woman, her husband walked in.

No comments: