Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I let out a scream before two big guys grabbed my shoulders and pulled me up. Then a lady came out of the crowd and helped me to a bench. She called a cab, paid the fare, and told the driver to take me to the emergency room at the hospital.

I have excellent medical coverage (surprising, but true) and I knew then that the entire hospital bill would be paid. I assumed that I would receive excellent medical care. I didn't.

Five minutes after I sat down in the ER waiting room, a woman spoke up and declared to nobody in particular and everybody in general, "This is a terrible hospital!"

I asked her why she said that and she explained that she'd been waiting for four hours to see somebody. Anybody.

I looked around and and noticed that there were quite a few other patients waiting to be seen.

"It must be a big night for boo-boos." I thought.

I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 pm and I wasn't seen by a doctor until 3:30 am the next morning. No, I'm not making this up. Uh uh. I wish I was.

And I was never provided with a reason for the delay.

The doctor ordered a full set of x-rays and told me that my blood pressure was very high.

"Well, DUH!" I thought.

Two-and-one half hours later (yup!) the doctor finally reappeared and told me that the x-rays were "inconclusive" and that I'd have to get an MRI.

I thought, "AND I HAVE TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS HOSPITAL!"

"So where should I go to get an MRI?" I asked the doctor.

He rubbed his eyes, blinked and said, "I don't know...we don't have one here."

No comments: