CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I bought a ticket the day before I boarded a Greyhound bus in Binghamton, NY. The next morning, my roommate drove me to the bus station. I retrieved my ticket, climbed up into the bus, settled down in a seat and waved goodbye, through the bus window, to the State of New York.

I paid $212.00 for transportation from New York to Oregon. It was an almost 3,000 mile trip. When I got to Salina, Kansas, I got off the bus, washed my clothes, took a shower, ate dinner and took a nap in the truck driver lounge.

Late that night, I decided to beat the bus and hitchhike to Grand Junction, Colorado where I would get back on the bus again.

I got to Grand Junction, alright...but the hateful excuse for a ticket agent there told me that I would have to pay fifteen-dollars to get back on the bus again.

Say what?

I paid $212.00 bucks and had a printed series of tickets that promised me a ride to Oregon.

And now this woman wanted me to pay $15.00 more? For what?

She said that it was a mandatory "change of itinerary fee." I told her that I didn't want to change my itinerary...I wanted to continue on to my original destination in Oregon.

Then I told her that I didn't have fifteen-dollars in cash. I had a bag of food and drink that I needed to carry me through to Ontario.

She said, "No payment, no transport", detached my remaining series of tickets, stacked them together in her hands and tore them all in half.

At that point, I wanted to do something very illegal. And it was all I could do to turn around and walk out of that bus station.

I had no choice but to walk a very long way out of Grand Junction in the 97F degree heat to the Interstate 70 west on ramp.

No comments: