Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

A couple stopped shortly after I finally reached the on ramp and drove me about ten-miles up the road. Then they bought me dinner and gave me a twenty-dollar bill.

When I looked at that twenty-dollars in my hand, I laughed. I knew that it was probably too late to use it to get back on the Greyhound bus.

It was late Friday night on Labor Day weekend.

And I was stuck out by a truck stop.

What was I going to do?

I took another shower and then sat on the guard rail by the on ramp and sipped coffee out of a paper cup until the sun rose.

Then a man who has a weird penchant for listening to talking books about Greek philosophers, picked me up. He dropped me off in a small town on the Utah State line. I got a ride from lady trucker and several rides after that led me to Provo, Utah.

I walked up the ramp there in Provo and stuck out my thumb. It was dark, windy and a storm was blowing in. And it was Saturday night on a holiday weekend.

And as I watched the traffic pass by, I realized that everyone else had somewhere to go...and I couldn't get to where I needed to be.

No comments: