Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I finally walked out of Ogden, Utah last Sunday evening. And within twenty-minutes, I got my first ride. The man, a driver for Schwann Ice Cream, took me to the small City of Bountiful, which is 25 minutes north of Salt Lake City, Utah.

I stayed on the ramp, fiddling with my Walkman radio and thumbing the occasional vehicle, until 3am in the morning.

Then I walked back around to the local gas station/convenience store to grab a drink of water and use the bathroom. Three people, two men and a woman, were standing outside of the store. They all smiled when I walked up.

"Well, good morning", said the woman, lighting a cigarette.

I fell into a pleasant conversation with them all.

Then, after I returned from the Ladies Room, the woman bought me a big bottle of Diet Mt. Dew. One of the guys offered to drive me to the southern edge of Salt Lake City. I accepted the ride.

An hour after the young man dropped me off on the ramp to I-70 east, two State Police troopers appeared. In separate cruisers.

My conversation with them led to a bus ticket from Salt Lake City to Green River, Utah.

Eventually.

I say that because when I handed the voucher over to the man behind the desk at the local Greyhound bus station, he frowned.

"We don't accept these," he said.

No comments: