Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ruthie On The Road, Update

When I left the motel, I was well-fed and rested. Which was a good thing because help would disappear like the taillights on Margaret's sporty car when I reached La Grande, Oregon.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: La Grande is one of the most hateful communities in the State of Oregon.

After the night that I spent there, I am convinced that La Grande has no conscience.

I spent this past Saturday night, sitting on my pack, in the dirt, between road construction barrels on the side of the on ramp.

Late that night, the wind grew cold and nobody stopped to ask if I needed help.

I finally pulled most of the clothes out of my pack and wrapped them around me.

At 5:30 am I finally got up and walked down to a Chevron gas station. It was closed.

One bathroom door on the side of the building was locked and the other one was open. But the light was burned-out.

So, I peed, washed my hands, brushed my teeth, washed my face and combed my hair in the dark.

Then I walked back up the hill to the ramp and put out my thumb. Fifteen-minutes later, I got my first ride.

No comments: