Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Ruthie In Portland, Oregon Update

I am back in Portland...and before I get to HOW I got back and what it was like, I want to tell you about what happened when I went to take a shower at the Salvation Army women's Bum Barn.

When I got there, at 7 a.m., I discovered that nobody was in the shower. For once. Yay!

But my happiness was short-lived and ended when a big, Black woman walked into the bathroom and let me know that she wanted to take a shower first. I told her that I wouldn't wait for her. She obviously didn't like that.

So, she sent a skinny Black woman in to hassle me while I was IN the shower. Then, when I finished and got out, She jumped in and everything was fine...for a few minutes.

Then the woman in the shower got out and told me that she wanted to use the handicap shower (the one without a shower rod or curtain) because she couldn't rinse off properly in the shower that she was in.

I said, "Gee, that's funny...I didn't have that problem."

I was in the middle of getting dressed and just doing my thing when she started having a tantrum. She wanted me to get up, half-dressed, half-lotioned up and grab all of my things and move out of the shower area.

I told her that I would leave just as fast as everybody else did.

Then she hit me with some very negative and clearly racist remarks.

In other words, reverse-discrimination.

What a surprise. NOT!

I tried to reason with her, and get dressed, and get my stuff back in my backpack...all at the same time.

Obviously, without a shower curtain, the woman was going to get major water all over the bathroom if she used that shower.

Finally, two "staff" women came in and told her to get out of the large shower. The white woman left me alone. But the Black woman swore that the only time that they had any problems in the shower is when I use it.

Which is bullshit.

In other words, she stuck up for her totally wrong "sistah" and left me with the sound of her disrespectful words ringing in my ears.

I said it before, and I will say it again: The Salvation Army S.A.F.E.S. "shelter" is a damn disgrace.

No comments: