Friday, June 05, 2009

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The next day, a staff lady there made a call to Dickinson, North Dakota and arranged for me to get housing there.

But it was Saturday and we couldn't find anyone to drive me safely to Dickinson.

Not by conventional means, anyway.

So...I walked back down to the interstate. And I was not looking forward to doubling-back 100 miles again.

Another trucker stopped but when I opened the door, he showed me his bad behavior and I displayed my middle finger.

A State cop pulled up and told me to stop hitchhiking and walk. Then he drove off.

Then my finger went up again.

I walked until I couldn't walk anymore and then an older couple pulled up in front of me. I got in...yeah and it was a sweet change, too. I liked settling back on the comfy seat in that champagne-tinted PT Cruiser.

The couple drove me back to their house, made some phone calls and then the man drove me to Dickinson.

The guy is really a gentleman. And when he told me what he did for a living, I laughed.

Oh, the irony of it all!

He is retired now. But he used to teach classes at the local branch of the Montana State Police academy.

No comments: