Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Finally, after what seems like forever...and in between yawns...the driver returns.

He's on a high. He says that he has won big.

I don't know whether to believe him or not.

We drive out of the parking lot and he can't keep the smile off of his face.

And of course, during the time that I was with him, he broke protocol by bringing me to the place where he had to load and even went so far as to show me the related paperwork.

So much for confidential consideration in business.

He's very fortunate that I didn't take photos of the papers, too.

There's more to this story but I won't go into it here.

I wrote this to make a point: Some of today's drivers are running their job by their own rules.

Before I leave the driver, he does a very unusual thing: He opens up his wallet and counts out hundreds of dollars...laying them one by one on the seat...in front of me.

I am not impressed. I ask him if he can get me a shower on his card and he does. I take a long time. On purpose.

He returns to the shower area and knocks on the door. He is mad and says that he is ready to leave.

I tell him "that's fine", say goodbye and then shut the door.

He knocks on it again...he doesn't want me to part ways with him yet.

I tell him in no uncertain terms that I am going to hitch out and that he better leave me alone.

Later, I am on the ramp and he finally drives slowly by me.

I wonder if he will keep raising the stakes related to his career.

Or maybe this series of posts will raise someone's awareness...down the road.

No comments: