Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Home

We have all tried, well almost all of us, in our tiny little group, to find me a way into permanent housing.

Permanent Housing:
1.) Where I will still be able to afford to buy a pack of gum.
2.) Where nobody will care if I type on my laptop at two in the morning.
3.) Where I can watch whatever I want on TV...even if it's just to make fun of Larry King on CNN.
4.) Where I can leave the same coffee mug, in the same spot, for three days without having to explain why. Or move it.
5.) Where I can take as much time as I want in the shower.
6.) Where I can bring home plants from the store and attempt to keep them alive for more than a month. And no one will care if they die.
7.) Where I can keep goldfish in something unusual, like a great, big jar that I should put pennies in.
8.) Where I can sing at the top of my lungs and nobody will go deaf.
9.) Where I can spend all afternoon drawing cartoons that will probably amuse only me.
10.) Where I can park my backpack and never put it over my shoulders again.

Yeah, we tried.

But even the woman who was supposed to keep me at her house until April changed her mind. At the last minute.

My other friends in the group are still concerned, they still care.

But there is only so much that they can do.

That is just the plain fact of life here.

The woman who changed her mind represents many other people who have put up barriers against homeless people.

I don't understand why anyone would want to put a fence up in front of me.

I know how to do dishes, sweep a floor,even mop it once in awhile, scrub out the shower, visit the Tidy Bowl man, make a bed, wash clothes, pay rent, answer mail and keep a low profile.

Low Profile. Heh-heh-heh. Yeah, right.

But you get my point.

I don't want to be ripped-off, exploited, disrespected or handed a bad deal. I just want to go home.

And I don't want to monitor cockroach relay races in the kitchen or manic mold mega growth above my bathtub.

I just want to sit in a rocking chair and watch the Spring rain fall on the flowers outside my window.

Where oh where oh where will I go to find that?

No comments: