Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I have a huge blister on the bottom of my right foot. It's a real doozy!

I walked out of Crescent City, California and four 1/2 miles after that. I had to get to the Highway 101/199 split and then up to a safe place to hitchhike.

By the time I reached that spot, dropped the pack, sat down on the guardrail and put out my thumb, the sun was dipping low in the sky.

Fifteen-minutes later, a guy in a big, white pickup stopped and picked me up. He talked about Doomsday, Armageddon and 2012 as rode around the curves through the redwood forest. That particular stretch of Highway 199 follows a river that is so clear that you can see all the way down to the bottom. It is a free-flowing water source that bounces like a fluid child down the rocky bed beside the highway.

I paid more attention to it than I did to him.

He dropped me off in downtown Grants Pass, Oregon.

I found the local women's shelter and walked in the door. And HEREEEEE'S what happened next, Yo.

The minute I got my tired self in the door, a big women walked up to me and said, "If you can't manage a top bunk then you can't stay here." Then she stood back, crossed her arms and glared.

Two thoughts shot through my brain: 1.) I can't handle a top bunk. 2.) They might call it a Gospel Mission but their mission has nothing to do with the Gospel.

I asked if someone could switch beds just for one night.

That turned her mouth on. And it kept moving as I slung the heavy pack over my shoulders and walked back out the door.

I was worn out.

When I reached a shopping center at the edge of Grants Pass, I sat down on a strip of concrete. Then I pulled some warm clothes out of my pack and covered myself up as best as I could.

I watched the traffic go by. Nobody stopped. Not even the cops.

In the middle of the night, my breath exhaled in clouds. I began to shiver.

In the morning, I trudged up the ramp to Interstate 5, heading north.

A few minutes later, a guy on his way to work stopped and picked me up.

He had no idea what would happen to me when I reached Medford, Oregon.

But the roller-coaster was about to take a very weird turn.

No comments: