Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ruthie On The Road, Update

The house looked friendly. It has a welcome sign covered with flowers on the front door. And the sign on the lawn explains that a counselor or two can be found inside.

I walked up to the door and knocked.

Which, when I think about it now, just flat-out amazes me.

After a few moments, a woman answered the door. I can only imagine what she must have thought when she took her first look at me.

I explained what was not happening and what I needed. Then I lifted my left food, leaned on my cane and said "I just can't walk anymore right now."

She invited me in and helped me remove my backpack. In minutes, I was seated on a comfy couch with a portable table in front of me. She brought me a steaming mug of hot coffee, cheese sticks, fruit and a hard-boiled egg.

I used the loo, drank the coffee, ate the food and fumbled through the phone book...and made call after call after call.

I got nowhere.

She had tax business to take care of that afternoon and so she drove me over to St. Vincent de Paul and dropped me off.

I ate a big spaghetti lunch there, got some portable food in a bag and walked back out. That's when I noticed the chairs and went over and sat in one...and promptly fell asleep.

At four o'clock I tried to check into their shelter but I was met at the door by a very strange man. Once inside, I noticed his name on the office window: Nick Scrooge.

Oh hell no, I thought.

Not only does this guy have a weird personality but he's also agnostic. He told me to stop "preaching Jesus" when I mentioned that I'm a child of God.

Yeah, that's what he said. He also made it clear that he runs everything and that the shelter isn't a hotel.

I left. Ya think??!

No comments: