Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I stayed at the library in Klamath Falls, Oregon until the building closed at 8pm that night. Then I packed everything back up and began the long walk out of town.

Klamath Falls isn't friendly. I already knew that when I arrived there.

So I didn't waste my time looking for a place to stay in that city.

Instead, I walked past everything and climbed the hill to the open weigh station.

When I got there I sat down on the cold ground on the inside of the guard rail and shivered.

I just couldn't get warm.

Then the skunks came. Those fetid fur balls took over that side of the road!

And I departed.

I walked down the dark road to the weigh station on the other side of the highway.

It was closed. So I dropped my pack on the porch of the little white building, sat down on it and finally fell asleep.

The weigh master shook me awake at 5:30 in the morning and said that he had to open the scale up.

So I walked back onto the cold, dark road. I found a grocery store that was closed but well-lit.

I sat down on the curb in front of the store by the ice machine.

"Perfect" I said to myself and once again tried in vain to shrug off the cold.

The sun finally rose above the hills and I turned my tired face into it.

Suddenly, a car pulled up and a young man got out.

"Hi" he said with a wide grin.

"You want a newspaper, too?" he asked, as he was reaching for the one that he just paid for in the box.

"I need a very, very, very hot cup of coffee" I replied.

He drove away and returned about fifteen-minutes later.

And with a grand flourish, he handed me a burning hot cup of coffee in a large, portable mug.

Then he dropped a large paper bag filled with food at my feet.

"There ya go" he said and climbed back into his car again.

"Wait! Wait!" I called, clutching the coffee like a lifeline, "Who are you?"

"Just another guy" he replied and gunned the car's engine and roared away.

When the store opened, I refilled the coffee mug, got some gum and carried everything down the road. I found a place to sit on some rocks and sat down to eat my wonderful breakfast.

I had just finished the first half of a turkey sandwich when two Native Americans in an old car pulled up.

The older woman gave me a toothless grin and the young man opened the door.

After a few moments of discussion, they brought me back to their home.

I slept from 8:30am until 4:15pm that day.

They are laid back and happy people who watch videos, eat well and smoke a lot of marijuana.

My kind of people.

The next day they drove me up to a park and left me there in a good spot to get a ride.

I got several and they brought me to Biggs, Oregon. There, a guy drove me to a rest area where I spent half the night in his car and the other half in the bathroom.

The next day I sauntered off and I was finally picked up by two young men who brought me all the way to La Grande, Oregon.

They bought me some groceries and then put me to bed in a motel room.

Yesterday, I made it all the way back to Ontario, Oregon and then took a turn into Idaho.

I am now watching the rain pouring outside the window of this small-town library.

And I probably have to travel another 100 miles before I can get out of it again.

I'm just waiting for the pantry to open so I can grab some food to take with me.

Everything will be better on Friday.

No comments: