Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ruthie On The Road, Update

He finally got me to an old, roadside cafe that's situated by a river.

When I walked in, I was greeted by a man, his wife and their extensive collection of antiques.

They have an old parking meter, a red Coca-Cola cash register, food still in tins from the Turn-Of-The-Last-Century, two Polaroid cameras hanging from hooks in the ceiling and dozens of other interesting items.

I freshened-up and then sat down among the roadshow treasures.

The couple who run the place made me a meal, packed me a lunch, filled me with piping hot tea and then called Officer Fred.

When Officer Fred arrived, I looked up at him and then kept looking up and up and up.

Officer Fred is the biggest, tallest cop that I've ever seen in my life!

He is also one of the nicest.

Officer Fred loves to talk. And after getting me settled beside him in the front seat of his police rig, he gave me his opinion on just about everything.

He drove me about sixty miles and discussed politics, religion and economics. Among other things. I enjoyed every minute of the ride.

He put me in a motel. Which is where I am now.

What a difference Officer Fred is from Deputy Crappy.

The first cop got a curse. The second one got a thank you.

Officer Fred opened his heart. Deputy Crappy never even cracked a smile.

No comments: